The Edwards Air Force Base Technical Research Library provides strong mission-essential support to the scientists, engineers, and military assigned to the base -- both onsite and at remote locations throughout the nation.
Established as the Air Force Flight Test Center Technical Library in 1954 under the direction of librarian Rose Kraft to meet the specialized information requirements of the scientists and engineers at Edwards Air Force Base.
By 1956 the reputation for research excellence was so well known that Philip F. Fahey, Jr., chief of the Test Engineering Branch, Rocket Engine Test Laboratory, the predecessor of today’s AFRL Rocket Propulsion Division, requested that a branch library be established for them. Under Kraft’s able leadership, the branch was up and running by 1 April 1957.
The library continued expanding its support to meet the needs of the newly established USAF Test Pilot School. A relationship that is still relevant today as the TPS library of record to meet the accreditation requirements of the Southern Association of Schools and Colleges for the degree of Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering.
With a name change in 2012, the AFFTC Technical Library became the Edwards AFB Technical Research Library continuing to provide full reference and research services from its location on Edwards AFB, CA.